From Tuesday 1st September, a new payment will be available for those on lower income who need to self-isolate and can't work from home in areas of high risk of Covid-19.

This could provide some help to you if you're an eligible nurse or carer who needs to self isolate, as it's often unlikely you're able to work from home as a healthcare worker.

The scheme is being trialled in Blackburn with Darwen, Pendle and Oldham, and will be rolled out to the rest of the country if successful.

What is the payment?

There are three payments available:

Who can claim the payment?

You can claim if you're self isolating either due to:

It will be available to those who are receiving either Universal Credit or Working Tax Credit, and is open to both employed and self-employed people.

How do you claim the payment?

To make a claim, you'll be asked to provide a notification from NHS Test and Trace and a bank statement to your local authority.

Payments will be provided within 48 hours. Getting the payment won't reduce any other benefits received.

For more information on the new payment, please see the government's statement here.

We’re here to help

We understand the uncertainty and stress coronavirus has brought to your working life, and we appreciate the incredible challenge frontline nurses and carers are facing.

If you have any questions or need any guidance around coronavirus and our policy for nurses and carers, please get in touch by calling your account manager on 020 3911 2555, or emailing us at [email protected].

You also may be interested in: